How to add a Site Column to a SharePoint list
In this tutorial I will cover adding the “Product Offering” Site
Column, created in a different tutorial called How to create a Site Column
a SharePoint Custom List. If you haven’t
watched How to create a Site Column
, check it out.
1. From your SharePoint site open any Custom List you
would like, in this example I will open my “SharePoint Training” list.
2. At the top of the page click LIST
to expand the
3. In the Settings section click List Settings
4. On the Settings page under Columns click Add
from existing site columns.
5. On the Add Columns from Site Columns page under
Select site columns from: click the drop-down arrow and click Custom Columns.
In How to create a Site Column
this is the group where I created the site column, if you created your site
column in a different group you can select that now. Alternatively, you could
just scroll through the list until you come across your site column, I prefer
to select my group first as this makes it easier to find.
6. Under Available site columns: click Product
7. Click Add
8. The Product Offering site column will now be
under the Columns to add: section.
9. Review your settings and click OK
10. Back on the Settings page under Columns you
will see the Product Offering site column.
back to your SharePoint List (in this example “SharePoint Training”) and edit any
of your items.
this example, I will edit User1 and select Beginner SharePoint 2013 Training
from the Product Offering drop-down.
Not quite as simple as adding a normal SharePoint column but
remember the great thing about a site column is it can be reused in my
subsites. This will cut down on the amount of work you have to do and maintain
consistency throughout your list and libraries.