How to Modify the Number of Items
Displayed in a View
Changing the number of items displayed in a view can be
beneficial for several reasons. If you
have very large SharePoint lists and libraries, thousands of items, limiting
the amount of items returned can increase performance and stability. More
importantly, if you don’t create views on your SharePoint lists and libraries
and you reach the 5,000 item list view threshold you will not enjoy fixing this
issue. For more information about
managing large lists and libraries click here
The article does a great job explaining the basics of list and libraries also,
how to organize your content so you never run into those issues.
1. From your SharePoint site, open any list or
library you would like, in this example I will open my “Documents” library.
2. At the top of the page click LIBRARY
3. In the settings section click Library Settings
4. On the Document Settings page, scroll to the
bottom and under the Views heading, click the view you would like to edit, in
this example All Documents
5. On the Edit View page scroll down and click +
Just for this example so I can demonstrate how it works, I
will change the Number of items to display to something smaller than you would
ever want to set on a list or library.
6. In the Number of items to display, type 10
7. Click the radio button next to Limit the total number of items returned
to the specified amount
8. Scroll to the bottom and click OK
9. You can now see my view is only displaying the
first 10 items.
Keep in mind this is only for this view. If I were to click on a different view within
this list it will not have the same 10 item limit. Again, you would not want to set your lists
and libraries to have a 10 item limit. I only used a 10 item limit because I
wanted to show you how it would visually look.