How to create a Promoted Links list (PART 1)
The Promoted Links app in SharePoint 2013 is a very simple
and useful feature. The app displays links as icons or tiles on a web page once
the web part is added. I’m sure you can
already think of several instances where this will be useful. This is part 1 of 3, which will cover
creating a Promoted Links list and creating a link.
1. From the home page of your SharePoint site on
the Quick Launch click Site Contents
2. On the Site Contents page under Lists,
Libraries, and other Apps click add an app
3. On the Your Apps page scroll down and click
4. In the Name section give it a name, for this
example I will call mine “PromotedIcons”.
5. Click Create
6. Back on the Site Contents page locate and click
on your Promoted Links list, in this example “PromotedIcons
7. At the top of the page click ITEMS
to expand the
8. In the New section click New Item
9. For this example I will enter the following
- Title – Company Tasks
- Background Image Location – https://scuba3.atrackspace.com/Pictures/TaskIcon.png
(Image stored in SharePoint Picture Library)
- Description – Link to Team Tasks list.
- Link Location – https://scuba3.atrackspace.com/Lists/Team%20Tasks/AllItems.aspx
- Launch Behavior – In page navigation
Order – 1
your information and click Save.
will see your new Promoted Link “Company Tasks
” in the “PromotedIcons” list.
A few more notes on Promoted Links: If you hover over the icon you will
see the description you entered in step 9 in the Background Image field.
If you click on the icon or tile you will be taken to the Link Location
you associated it with in step 9 in the Link Location field. I hope you
enjoyed and remember there are still 2 more parts; the SharePoint fun has just